While this quarantine was quite unexpected, I believe there is a lot to gain during this solitary time; growing, improving, relaxing, and enjoying the little things. Here are a few things you can do to make this your best quarantine yet!
1. Walking: While social distancing is recommended, long walks in nature (alone) or with your dog are not canceled. We still need to inhale the luxury of sun and pure nature to revitalize our system. Walking is also a simple exercise to implement that will keep you in shape during this "sit-down".
2. Learn a new language: In this day and age, everyone is at-least bilingual but usually multilingual. I think it's important to stretch your memory muscles and gain new brain cells, through learning valuable skills.
3. Perfect Yoga Poses: Have you always wanted to do a headstand? Do you find yoga poses hard? Have you always wanted to try yoga but never had the time? This time is for you to perfect, learn, or improve your yoga poses. Luckily, you do not need a gym, instructor, or cool yoga gear to get started. Just a willingness to learn, a mat, and diligence. If you need some visual guidance, there are some youtube and social media channels online to guide you.
4. Exercise Regimen: You know that ideal body you always wished you had time to work on obtaining but you never seemed to have enough time? Simply because, you were working, taking care of the kids, worrying about your to-do list, sitting in traffic, running " errands" and being completely exhausted by it all? Use this time to self-care through exercise and movement, respecting your body and improving your health. You have a full 24 hours to yourself now, what are you going to do with it?
5. Schedule Facetime/Zoom Calls: It's important to stay connected with friends and family during this time, scheduling at least one or two video calls per week can increase feelings of connectedness and strengthened the bonds you've already created.
6. Catch Up on Books You Haven't Read: We are all guilty of it, purchasing books and never seeming to get around to reading them. This is the perfect time to start working on that unread collection. Start slow, try reading one book per week and take notes on profound discoveries. You could come out of this quarantine a changed woman!
7. Practice Mindfulness: This is not an ideal situation for most of us but it can be helpful to live in this moment and be present, no matter the circumstances. Live intentionally each day, give gratitude for all the intangible things that have stayed consistent in your life, try not to worry about the future or things you cannot control, find purpose and joy in this moment; for it is all we have.
8. Throw Yourself into Your Hobbies: Life can get hectic at times and you can find yourself putting off the very things that bring you peace and joy. If you like dancing, writing, singing, watching movies, sewing, drawing, juggling, just do it! Immerse yourself into everything you love while you have uninterrupted time do so, your future self will thank you.
9. Do some Spring Cleaning: Over time, we can collect a bunch of knick-knack things that can crowd our home, clothes we never wear, underused items that collect dust and ultimately cause mental disarray. Use this time to get rid of old, worn-out things that take up space. Cluttered spaces can affect the way we operate in our daily lives. Make an effort to throw out anything that doesn't serve you anymore. Pack it up for donations and recycle the rest. Out with the old and in with the new!
10. Learn A New Skill: This can vary from learning how to do a backflip to cooking or obtaining a CPA certification. There are millions of certifications and self-guided courses that you can take to become more viable in the workforce by May 2020. To decide what courses to take, ask yourself this; What have you always wanted to learn, just for fun? What kind of certification will increase your salary/prices? How can I be a more diversified person? What would be fun to know or learn how to do?
These activities can change involving more board games or interaction if you are not alone. However, throughout this time, the most important thing we can do is purge and improve the relationship that we have with ourselves. There is no telling how long this pandemic and self-quarantine will last but one thing is for certain. Life will go on and we should still make the best out of every moment that we have on earth.